DREES Barometer on Public Opinion
Baromètre d’opinion de la DRESS (Direction de la recherche, des études, de l’évaluation et des statistiques)
Public Attitudes towards Older Age
|Relevance for this Topic||
Florent Favre / DRESS (Direction de la recherche, des études, de l’évaluation et des statistiques)
Ministère des Affaires sociales et de la Santé
14, avenue Duquesne
75350 PARIS 07 SP
Phone: (+33) 01.40.56.60.00 (switchboard)
Timeliness, transparencyFirst results and dataset are available about one year after the end of data collection.
Free downloadable files from the Centre Quételet (http://www.reseau-quetelet.cnrs.fr/spip/) (2008-09 data) or DVD/CD sent by DREES after agreement
Conditions of access
Free access with standard procedure (reference to the Insee/Drees in publications, communication of publications...).
The data base is in French.
Data collection ongoing annually since 2000 (excludes 2003) and includes a sample size of approximately 4,000 individuals for each wave.
Quota sampling (quotas defined for gender, age, occupation, size of town and region).
age 18 and over
This survey follows French opinions toward health and social issues, welfare, family, solidarity and poverty. Several questions deal with some aspects of public attitudes toward older age, for example, concern towards the aging of the population in developed countries, and in France in particular, future of the retirement system, perceived risk of poverty/exclusion according to age, perception of the standard of living of retired people (compared to the whole population); opinions and personal wishes regarding the retirement system, care for older and disabled people is mainly a task for the State/local authorities/the family/insurance companies, attitude toward a parent who would become dependent, and personal desire/reluctance to live (in the future) in a specialised institution for Old Age & Elderly Care Homes.
• Coppoletta, R. ”Les attentes des Français en matière de protection sociale” Études et Résultats n°821, Drees (2012). Available at: http://www.drees.sante.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/er821.pdf
• Lequien, L., & Andrieux, V. “Les opinions et les souhaits des Français en matière de retraite en 2010” Collection Études et Statistiques - Les Retraités et la Retraites 2010 (2012). Available at: (www.drees.sante.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/retraite2010.pdf
- This survey is one of the very few sources of data dealing with Public Attitudes towards Older Age in France;
- It’s a ‘light’ survey, with self-reported data only, thus it is quite easy to carry out analyses and data are quickly available;
- This is a periodic survey carried out annually since 2000;
- It is possible to contact the DREES to suggest new questions.
- Quota sampling;
- There are very few contextual questions (only one question to identify the respondent as a informal caregiver or a disabled/dependent person;
- data dictionaries and datasets are not available in English.
- The information about this dataset was compiled by the author:
- Patrick Peretti-Watel
- (see Partners)